IS Diversity, Inclusion and Equity Statement
IS understands that diversity, inclusion and equity are critical to any community. We accept that individuals among a diverse population come from different places in their experience, styles and tolerances, and that those, too, bring diverse perspectives to the group.
Diversity requires acceptance and respect from all areas of the diversity wheel. Understanding that each individual is unique, recognizing individual differences in culture, style and speed of learning, creating and interacting is all necessary for cultural competency.
Cultural competency means having an awareness of one’s own cultural identity and views, as well as the ability to learn and build on the varying cultural and community norms of others. Understanding within-group differences that make each of us unique, while celebrating the between-group variations, makes our community a rich landscape of experiences and perspectives.*
IS is committed to providing and promoting accessibility, awareness and cultural sensitivity in all areas of its interactions with the community.
Diversity, inclusion and equity: What’s the difference?
- Diversity is about a collective or a group, and can only exist in relationship to others. To be a diverse organization simply means that you have the presence of differences of identity (e.g., gender and people of color) throughout your organization.
- Inclusion is about folks with different identities feeling and/or being valued, leveraged, and welcomed within a given setting. We need to ask, “What is the experience for individuals who are the minority within the organization?”
- Equity is an approach that ensures everyone access to the same opportunities. Equity recognizes that advantages and barriers exist, and that, as a result, we all don’t all start from the same place. Equity is a process that begins by acknowledging that unequal starting place and continues to correct and address the imbalance. ++
- Diversity is being asked to the party. Inclusion is being asked to dance. Equity is being able to DJ.
Statement of Action
- IS members and leadership commit to ongoing learning and sharing of information dedicated to the organization’s diversity, inclusion and equity within our membership.
- IS leadership seeks out input and feedback regarding diversity, inclusion and equity from within and without the organization
- IS labs and teams commit to completing annual Organizational Self Assessment Tool