We’re frontloading the week before Congress’s holiday recess to allow you to fit in action when you can. Three critical issues—the Dream Act, CHIP, and the Trump Tax Scam—could come to a head this week. Since our Mass members of Congress are good on all three, let’s talk to out-of-staters. Don’t know any? You can use Indivisible’s calling tool to contact progressives in Maine and Arizona about the tax scam.
But first we’ve got a quick, fun action from IS’s family lab. Five-year-old Ryland Ward, a survivor of the Sutherland Springs, Texas, shooting, is asking for Christmas cards while he recovers in the hospital, where he’s likely to remain for six more weeks. He especially likes receiving pictures from other children and their pets. Please share!
Cards should be sent to
P.O. Box 174
Sutherland Springs, TX 78161
Dream Act. CHIP. Tax Scam.
Keep up the Pressure.
The Massachusetts delegation is solid in their opposition to the GOP Tax Scam and their support for renewing the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP) and for using the continuing budget resolution to get a clean Dream Act. And that means…reaching out to our friends represented by key swing votes. They should be an easy sell—80% of voters support Dreamers; 62% support CHIP; and 53% oppose the Tax Scam, with only 35% supporting.
The Dream Act
For this, we need to ask our friends to contact their Democratic senators and representatives who voted yes on the continuing budget resolution December 8 and urge them to VOTE NO when it comes up this week. Here’s a list of legislators to call and a script to use.
Our friends probably support the Dreamers. We just need to explain why Democrats have to push the Dream Act through right now. This is a case where every delay destroys a life—122 lives, to be exact. 122 Dreamers lose their protected status every day Congress doesn’t pass the Dream Act. We’ll never have more leverage for the bill than the budget resolution provides us.
Congress still hasn’t renewed CHIP, a program with solid bipartisan support that provides low-cost health coverage to children in families that earn too much money to qualify for Medicaid but can’t afford insurance. States are running out of funds—see the chart at the bottom of this page to find out
when—and some have already had to notify families that their children’s coverage is likely to end soon.
Here’s a short script your friends might use to call their senators.
Script: Hi. This is [YOUR NAME] calling from [ZIP] to ask Senator [NAME] to fund the Children’s Health Insurance Program. It’s a successful program with 19 years of bipartisan support, and the delay authorizing funding is putting the health of 9 million kids at risk. What is the senator doing to assure CHIP funding in [YOUR STATE]?
To defeat this terrible bill, we need 10 GOP votes in the House or 3 GOP votes in the Senate. The key senators are Collins (Maine) and Flake(Arizona).
With Indivisible’s nifty peer-to-peer calling tool, you can call progressives in Maine and Arizona and patch them through to their senator’s district office. Word from IS members is that using the tool is fun and rewarding.
Know anyone in the districts of these key representatives? Ask them to use Indivisible’s calling script to urge their reps to stop the Tax Scam. For a little extra motivation to make the calls, you might mention one or two of these points.
- Tax cuts for the wealthy and corporations will create a massive deficit increase, which will then be paid for with devastating cuts to Medicare, Social Security, education, and other vital programs.
- This bill was written behind closed doors by lobbyists, and the American people have been consistently lied to about what it will do to their pocketbooks and livelihoods.
- By repealing the ACA individual mandate, the bill will completely upend the health insurance market, uninsuring millions, spiking premiums, and endangering coverage for those with pre-existing conditions.
- This bill will hand over pristine Alaskan land to oil companies, destroying protected land and endangering wildlife.
- The elimination of state and local tax deductions will cause millions of middle-income Americans to pay higher taxes. States with the highest taxes are California, Oregon, Minnesota, Iowa, New Jersey, Vermont, and New York.